All about gaining RWA Certification
1. Legal Requirement
Any person wishing to act as a Radioactive Waste Adviser must:
- gain a Certificate of Core Competence from an Assessing Body recognised by the UK Environment Agencies; and
- be deemed ‘suitable for appointment’ by the Employer appointing that RWA.
An RPA 2000 Certificate of Core Competence remains valid for a period of 5 years, before the end of which it must be renewed.
2. Relevant RPA 2000 Documents
The documents that are relevant to any person wishing to apply for or renew an RPA 2000 Certificate of Core Competence to act as an RPA under IRR99 are listed below.
The following Documents provide general information that is applicable to all the Certification Schemes provided by RPA 2000, click on the one that you wish to view:
The following documents contain information that is specific to the competency scheme for a Radioactive Waste Adviser, please click on the one that you wish to view:
|Doc. Ref||Document Title|
|RWA1||Application Form to gain Initial Certification of Competence to be an RWA|
|RWA1(GR)||Application Form for replacing grandfather rights RWA recognition with RPA 2000 certification|
|RWA2||Instructions for the creation of the Portfolio of Evidence for RWA certification|
|RWA3|| Instructions for the Renewal of RWA Certification (RWA-RCS) [To be published]
|RCS3||Joint Renewal of Certification Scheme|
|RWA4||Additional Guidance for the assembly of RWA portfolios in the medical sector|
3. Applications for initial certification to act as an RWA
The requirements of the UK Environment Agencies (EAs) for the assessment of competence of persons seeking to gain recognition as Radioactive Waste Advisers (RWA) can be found in the most recent version of the ‘Environment Agencies Statement on RWAs’. The means for achieving this are detailed in the RPA 2000 Document RWA2 ‘Instructions for the creation of the portfolio of evidence for RWA certification’.
Applicants for initial certification by RPA 2000 will:
- Require Documents RWA1 and RWA 2, provided that they have not gained grandfather rights recognition from the EAs; or
- Require Documents RWA(GR)1 and RWA2, if they wish to replace their grandfather rights recognition with RPA 2000 Certification
- Are advised to consult Document G2
- May wish to refer to Documents G1
4. Applications for renewal of certification to act as an RWA
Persons wishing to apply to RPA 2000 to renew their RWA certification will have to use the RWA Renewal of Certification Scheme which will be found in the RPA 2000 Document RWA3 ‘Instructions for the Renewal of RWA Certification (RWA-RCS)’.
The necessay information will appear here at a later date.
Persons may also apply for renewal of both the RPA certificate and RWA certificate using The Joint renewal Scheme for RPA and RWA Certification (Joint-RCS3).